This is my absolute favorite Valentine’s Day sugar cookie recipe. The secret ingredient? Sour cream. It keeps the cookies moist and wonderful for days! They are totally irresistible — I just ate three.
- 1 cup margarine or butter
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar (I usually cut back to 1 C of sugar)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and sugar. Beat in the eggs, vanilla and sour cream. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg, stir into the creamed mixture until just blended. Dough will be light and sticky. Cover or wrap dough and chill overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes using cookie cutters. Place cookies 1 inch apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes, until cookies turn a very light brown. Remove from baking sheets to cool on wire racks.
Top with a cream cheese icing and you’re good to go for Valentine’s Day!