Christmas shopping for me last year was beyond stressful. My loved ones had supported me emotionally, mentally, and more all year. But what could I give them that would say, “Hey, I love you”? What could I possibly get that either, a) they didn’t already have or b) that would not be just another thing for them to put in their closet or house and be forgotten?
I was tired of giving away “things” to other people, things that did not matter and had little significance to them other than another addition to their pile of “stuff.” As I was pondering gift ideas, I remembered a date night idea I had a few months earlier: a cooking class. I began to look at different events taking place in my city and realized that the perfect gift was:
The gift of experience.
My husband and I decided to buy a cooking class for his parents who were experimenting with being vegan. They loved it! In fact, everyone we gave a gift to last year were beyond happy. In order to spread the Christmas joy, I would like to share with you ten unique gift ideas that would make your family and friends think of you as their Santa Claus.
- A cooking class. There are various types of cooking classes you can take, with focuses on appetizers, desserts, spices, Thai food, meatless dishes, etc. While some classes can be expensive, if you shop around, you can find different classes that fit your budget.
- A crafts/design class (sewing, jewelry making, upholstery, decoration). For my sister-in-law’s birthday, I gave her a short class on making jewelry. I brought the tools and jewelry making books and she took to it quickly and beautifully.
- A concert. What better present could you get or give than a night relaxing while enjoying some of your favorite music? Make this an extra special night by including dinner.
- A day at the spa/massage (a couple’s massage works too). I love going to the spa. I go in with all this tension I did not know I had and come out feeling relaxed, beautiful, and happy.
- An activity such as a Zip line. Have you ever Zip lined across a valley? Wow! What a rush! At first you’re scared because of the heights or the newness of it, but then you start going and it’s a pure adrenaline rush. This could be the perfect gift for the adrenaline junkie in your life.
- A personal trainer. Most people gain weight or become their unhealthiest during the holiday season. Although I believe you can enjoy the holidays without overindulging, I know it’s hard to resist all the goodies around you. What better way for them to start the New Year than to hit the ground running. Get them a personal trainer at their gym or find one through your local classified ads.
- A chocolate/cheese tasting event. Chocolate and cheese; need I say more?
- A dance class. This is one gift I would love to receive. I love to dance and would not mind learning a few new steps. Dancing makes me feel alive, sexy, and beautiful.
- A trip. This need not break the bank. If you book a trip far enough in advance, a trip can be pretty affordable. Alternatively, a cruise is cheaper the closer to the trip you get your tickets as they are trying to fill up all their cabins.
- Time. Time is the most precious commodity we have. What better way can you show someone you love them than by giving them the gift of your time? Take the time to do something they enjoy with them. It could be as simple as dinner. My sister is an extremely busy woman and so nothing means more to me than when she takes the time to just be with me. I know it’s a sacrifice for her but she makes me feel like she would rather be there in the moment with me than anywhere else. If you are going to take the time for them, then take the time. Be mentally as well as physically there with your loved ones.
What experience have you enjoyed or have given as a gift?
BIO: Laureen is a freelance writer with a background in medicine. Although writing has always been her passion it was not until she was having a “how we want to raise our children” discussion with her husband that she came to an interesting realization; how could she teach her children to follow their dreams ambitiously when she was not living her own? At that point she started her writing career. She recently started a website to help others gain clarity for their lives and business at 2clarify.com.