It’s safe to say that this is the year of The Hunger Games for Halloween costumes, particularly Katiss Everdeen. While there are many different faces of Katniss, here’s a costume idea for Katniss in the arena.
- Blue zip up hoodie
- Black T-shirt
- Black backpack
- Bow & arrow — borrowed from Kim
- Olive cargo pants
- Black boots — from Pala Pala Dress Boutique
For other Hunger Games costume ideas, don’t miss this Effie Trinket Halloween costume and makeup tutorial!
A critical part of becoming Effie Trinket from the Hunger Games for Halloween is the makeup. For my Effie Trinket Halloween costume, I enlisted the help of celebrity makeup artist DorothyInez to recreate the look from the movie. DorothyInez used all MAC and Motives makeup and recreated the look perfectly! Throughout the process we found ourselves literally laughing out loud for how ridiculous I looked. It’s comical — prepare yourself!
Here is a step by step tutorial by professional makeup artist DorothyInez with photos demonstrating how to recreate Effie Trinket makeup for Halloween.
- Before applying makeup, exfoliate your face to remove dead skin cells which will make the makeup apply more smoothly. Then moisturize your face generously.
- If you are wearing a wig, put on your wig cap to pull you hair back.
- Choose a foundation a few shades lighter than your natural skin color, then apply all over your face, including your lips. Go as light as you want to.
- Apply concealer as needed.
- To set the foundation, choose a matching light powder. Translucent powder will do in a pinch.
- If you have dark eyebrows like I do, cover them with concealer.
- Choose a bright shade of yellow and apply all over the eyelid, up to the eyebrow. Apply this shade of yellow on your eyebrows as well.
- Choose a bright shade of teal and apply it in the middle of your eyelid from the line of your lashes up to the brow, tapering inwards slightly.
- Apply a dark blue or teal eyeliner underneath the lower lashes, including the waterline, the inner rim of your eye.
- Apply a thin line of black eyeliner to your upper eyelid.
- Apply a pink blush to your cheekbones. Carry a bit up in a “C” shape around your eyebrows and onto your forehead.
- Using a pink lip liner, draw an exaggerated lip shape. Keep in mind this will not follow your natural lip shape.
- Fill it in with a matching pink or fuschia lip color.
- Apply mascara.
- Put on your wig.
Don’t forget to check out our Effie Trinket Halloween Costume tutorial for more tips on how to pull together your costume!
May the odds be ever in your favor!
After listening to The Hunger Games non-stop, I’ve just completed listening to the first book in the series. The intense build-up to the games, the calculated competition within the games, and charming love interest between Katniss and Peeta were captivating! But the thing that really lured me in at the beginning was the important role the stylists played in the story line.
Cinna, played by Lenny Kravitz in the upcoming feature film, is the heroine’s personal stylist and is responsible for creating an image for her that everyone will remember. And he does. The “girl on fire” dress at the opening ceremonies of the games completely wins everyone over and makes Katniss and Peeta the talk of the town.
It’s not until after Katniss and Peeta win the Hunger Games that Cinna truly shows you how important her appearance really is to her safety. Knowing that Katniss is still in danger after defying the Capitol, he puts her in a demure yellow dress that plays down her fierce strength, painting her in a feminine light so she can play the romance card in the final interview.
When you are getting dressed each day, it’s important to consider where you’re going, who you’re going to be with, and what you want to accomplish as you choose your clothes. Starting with the end in mind will help you to choose clothing that is appropriate for the occasion and as a resource to help you achieve your goals. And if you want the help of your own personal stylist, I’m here to help!