A critical part of becoming Effie Trinket from the Hunger Games for Halloween is the makeup. For my Effie Trinket Halloween costume, I enlisted the help of celebrity makeup artist DorothyInez to recreate the look from the movie. DorothyInez used all MAC and Motives makeup and recreated the look perfectly! Throughout the process we found ourselves literally laughing out loud for how ridiculous I looked. It’s comical — prepare yourself!
Here is a step by step tutorial by professional makeup artist DorothyInez with photos demonstrating how to recreate Effie Trinket makeup for Halloween.
- Before applying makeup, exfoliate your face to remove dead skin cells which will make the makeup apply more smoothly. Then moisturize your face generously.
- If you are wearing a wig, put on your wig cap to pull you hair back.
- Choose a foundation a few shades lighter than your natural skin color, then apply all over your face, including your lips. Go as light as you want to.
- Apply concealer as needed.
- To set the foundation, choose a matching light powder. Translucent powder will do in a pinch.
- If you have dark eyebrows like I do, cover them with concealer.
- Choose a bright shade of yellow and apply all over the eyelid, up to the eyebrow. Apply this shade of yellow on your eyebrows as well.
- Choose a bright shade of teal and apply it in the middle of your eyelid from the line of your lashes up to the brow, tapering inwards slightly.
- Apply a dark blue or teal eyeliner underneath the lower lashes, including the waterline, the inner rim of your eye.
- Apply a thin line of black eyeliner to your upper eyelid.
- Apply a pink blush to your cheekbones. Carry a bit up in a “C” shape around your eyebrows and onto your forehead.
- Using a pink lip liner, draw an exaggerated lip shape. Keep in mind this will not follow your natural lip shape.
- Fill it in with a matching pink or fuschia lip color.
- Apply mascara.
- Put on your wig.
Don’t forget to check out our Effie Trinket Halloween Costume tutorial for more tips on how to pull together your costume!
May the odds be ever in your favor!