Today’s Guest Post comes to us from Aristan Maskers, specializing in paper machier masquerade masks. With Halloween on the horizon, Amanda of Artisan Maskers will share some great Halloween costume ideas that that include a masquerade mask. As if we needed any extra excuse to own one.
- Take a pretty, feminine mask, in pale colors (white, especially) and you can easily adapt it to dress up any of the following costume ideas: a fairy, a bride, a snowflake, a spirt (or ghost, if it’s got some flowing ribbons or fabric to it), a tight-rope walker or ballerina, a princess, or Christine (from Phantom of the Opera)
- A skull mask can be the obvious skeleton, or you could adapt it to become Death himself, the Phantom of the Opera, or something quirky, like Skeletor (yes, from He-Man ;D). The nice thing about this mask is that it is very masculine, but it can still be dressed up for even the classiest event.
- If you want something more flamboyant, a striking mask with flashy feathers would make a great addition to a flapper costume or a showgirl-type costume, or even add an air of mystery to a vampire ensemble. It’s also easy to adapt the colors to whatever you are wearing, since ostrich plumes can be found in nearly every color!
- Foxes are HUGE right now, but wearing a fox mask doesn’t limit you to only being a fox. Consider possible famous foxes, especially if you are going out with a partner: Foxy Loxy (and Chicken Little), the Incredible Mr. Fox (and his wife, obviously, or one of his other animal buddies), Honest John (and his kitty sidekick, Gideon–from Pinocchio), and the list goes on and on! Also, animal masks, like foxes, lend themselves very well to Steampunk stylings, even if they don’t have any specific Steampunk elements!
- Our final mask idea is just the basic black. With a sleek black mask, you can become a superhero, a bandit, a black widow spider, or a spy. Add some glitz (in this case, rhinestones and spikes) and suddenly you can also be a rock star, a biker, or a really, really hot Catwoman. ;D
Artisan Maskers also wrote this terrific tutorial on how to make your own masquerade mask, though if you’re looking to save time, definitely check out the Artisan Maskers Etsy shop for more whimsical masquerade masks!