The first time I saw a flamenco dance performance, I was absolutely riveted. The strength, femininity and grace was empowering and completely won me over. Weeks later I was registered for flamenco dance classes and haven’t looked back since. Coy and captivating, a flamenco dancer is a great costume idea for women and girls alike!
Since I am a flamenco dancer myself, it makes for an easy Halloween costume! The year I dressed up as a flamenco dancer, the security guard at work teased me and said, “That’s like me dressing up as a security guard for Halloween.” But hey! If you already have the necessary parts and pieces, why not?
- Flower in your hair
- Dangly earrings
- Dress or long skirt skirt and top with polka dots (As an alternative, solid colors work as well, especially red and black!). Bonus points for ruffles!
- Optional: A shawl with tassels
- Optional: Fan
- High heel Mary Jane shoes
Show and Tell!
Did you dress up as a flamenco dancer or pull together a costume from your closet? Leave a link in the comments, post a photo on our Facebook page, or hashtag #costumesinyourcloset on Instagram. We’d love to see your costume creation!
Photographer: Will Bossen
Model and Stylist: Sarah Ward
Looking for last-minute Halloween costumes that are easy, creative, and won’t break the bank? Here are 12 easy Halloween costume ideas that you can pull right out of your closet in time for your Halloween party this weekend!
- Katniss Everdeen. This is going to be the costume of the season! To recreate her arena costume, here are the costume components: Mockingjay pin + braided hair + nylon jacket + black T-shirt + backpack + cargo pants + boots + bow & arrow. Done!
- Effie Trinket. If you want to jump on the Hunger Games bandwagon and get a little more creative, Effie Trinket is the way to go. Here are the costume components for her teal outfit: curly yellow wig + teal clothing + teal flower + black flower + gaudy jewelry + garish makeup. (Here’s a helpful step-by-step Effie Trinket makeup tutorial) Voila!
- Carmen Sandiego. This costume makes for a great couples costume when paired with Where’s Waldo. Your costume components: Red hat + yellow ribbon + red jacket + black clothes + black gloves + black boots. That’s all!
- Morticia Addams. If you want a glamorous costume without the effort, Morticia Addams is where it’s at. Costume components: Black dress (or separates) + gothic jewelry & accessories + dramatic makeup. Bonus points for arriving at the party with Gomez, Wednesday, and Pugsley Addams.
- Rosie the Riveter. This costume won’t take a lot of time or money but is instantly recognizable! Costume components: Chambray shirt + jeans + patterned scarf + a bicep worth flexing + optional: a riveter. Ta da!
- Charlie Chaplain. Whether you’re a man or a woman, you can pull this easy costume off either way! Costume components: Hat + eyeliner for mustache + black suit jacket + white dress shirt + black tie + vest + black pants + black shoes + umbrella.
- Cruella De Vil. A villainous cackle is going to go a long way with this costume! Costume components: Black & white wig, or spray-in hair color + gaudy makeup and jewelry + cigarette holder + black dress + faux fur throw or jacket + red gloves + red purse + red shoes. Easy peasy!
- Alice Cullen from Twilight. If you’re a Twilight fan you know the person who stole the show for style was Alice Cullen. To recreate her look in Italy in New Moon, here are the costume components: Stylish scarf (to keep out the sun) + sunglasses + A-line swing jacket + elbow-length gloves + black pants & shoes + hazel contacts optional. You can always make this a group costume by rounding up Bella and Edward and other members of the Cullen family!
- Sandy from Grease. Sandy’s onscreen makeover is one of the most memorable ones in movie history! And once you have a blonde wig, it’s all downhill from here. Costume components: Blonde wig + big earrings + leather jacket + black v-neck or over-the-shoulder shirt + leather pants or leggings + red heels. That’s all she wrote.
- Wicked Witch of the West. Thanks to Wicked the musical, the Wicked Witch of the West costume is totally in! Costume components: Green face paint + witch’s hat + black dress or separates + striped socks + black boots + optional broom. Extra credit for dressing up with Dorothy or some Flying Monkeys!
- Sushi. By far one of the easiest and creative costumes you can pull together! Costume components: White clothes + pink pillow case + throw pillow + green scarf + flower for your hair. Fini! You may want sushi after the party though…
- Geisha. A simple yet sophisticated costume, with white face paint you will be instantly recognizable as a geisha. Costume components: Parisol or fan + flowers and ribbon for your hair + white face paint, red lips and eye contouring, black brows + silk robe + obi belt + flip flops. People will be amazed!
Styling: Sarah Ward
Makeup and Photography for 2, 4, 12: DorothyInez, Celebrity Makeup Artist
Halloween Costume Link Party and Contest
What are you dressing up as for Halloween? Show us your costumes by linking up in our Halloween Costume Link Party and Contest! Once you submit your link, please post a link back to the Halloween Costume Link Party. To sweeten the deal, for three lucky contest winners we’re giving away one-hour eStyling Virtual Styling sessions with a Wardrobe Stylist to help you plan what to wear for your Christmas card photos and upcoming holiday parties!
One of the most memorable on-screen makeovers of all time is Sandy Olsen in Grease. Once I had the blonde wig, it suddenly became obvious that an easy costume idea would be was Sandy from Grease. You can add this to the rank of easy black Halloween costume (Think Charlie Chaplain, Morticia Addams, Cruella De Vil, Wicked Witch of the West, Carmen Sandiego…) that require very little effort!
- Blonde wig
- Dramatic eye makeup
- Big earrings
- Black V-neck shirt or over the shoulder top
- Leather pants or liquid leggings
- Red shoes
- Bonus points if you can rope your man into going as Danny
Do you remember watching the Carmen Sandiego cartoon in the 90s? While I barely remember a thing about the show, her red getup is unforgettable and makes for an easy Halloween costume for women on the fly. Bonus points if your date goes as Where’s Waldo!
- Red hat (this one I ordered from Spain for a flamenco performance and worked great!)
- Yellow ribbon — purchased by the yard at Michael’s
- Red jacket
- Black gloves
- Black T-shirt
- Black pants
- Black boots
- Optional: globe
It’s safe to say that this is the year of The Hunger Games for Halloween costumes, particularly Katiss Everdeen. While there are many different faces of Katniss, here’s a costume idea for Katniss in the arena.
- Blue zip up hoodie
- Black T-shirt
- Black backpack
- Bow & arrow — borrowed from Kim
- Olive cargo pants
- Black boots — from Pala Pala Dress Boutique
For other Hunger Games costume ideas, don’t miss this Effie Trinket Halloween costume and makeup tutorial!
When it comes to Halloween costumes, you don’t have to spend a lot of money to look the part! With Halloween around the corner, I assembled Halloween costumes from my closet to demonstrate that with a little creativity, you can assemble a costume without trying too hard. Get more ideas from our series called Halloween Costumes from Your Closet.
Rosie the Riveter
- Chambray shirt
- Polka dot scarf
- A bicep worth flexing
- Optional: a riveter