Blog originally published at My Colleges and Careers.
Spring 2011 fashion is all about embracing the 70s! From flared jeans, to maxi dresses, crochet, and wedge shoes, the 70s are back! If you want to try some spring trends, here’s how to incorporate them into your wardrobe this season.
- Oxford shoes. Borrowed from menswear, oxford shoes are a fresh take on flats. You can dress them up or down, pairing them with your skinny jeans, girly skirts and dresses, or even shorts.
- Flared jeans. If you are tired of skinny jeans, flared jeans and wide-leg pants will be a welcome change. These styles are far more forgiving to womens’ bodies, balancing a fuller caboose or hips nicely and adding volume to smaller frames.
- Maxi skirts and dresses. These floor-skimming styles work with so many more figure types than the mini! For maximum versatility, layer tops and jackets over your maxi dress.
- Chambray shirts. This denim button down style shirt looks terrific tucked into your floral skirts, with rolled up chinos, or even jean shorts. Denim on denim is huge this spring! Belt it to show off your curves.
Color. Step a little out of your comfort zone and embrace colors like coral, orange, peach, lavender, aqua, chartreuse, or Pantone’s color of the year, honeysuckle.
- Layered necklaces. Twice is nice applies to layering necklaces. Layering long necklaces together looks fab. The rule: wear necklaces of different lengths in the same metal together. Keep in mind it looks best if the shorter necklaces have smaller pendants and the longer necklaces have larger pendants.
- Trench coats. Every spring, the classic trench coat comes back into vogue. Rather than wearing the standard khaki version, opt for a trench in a vibrant green, yellow, or pink. Some trenches even incorporate ruffles and bubble skirt styles to make it memorable.
- Crochet. To add some depth and texture to your look, crochet is a great way to go. You can embrace crochet in a vest, oversize sweater, or even jewelry.
- Wedge shoes. You’ll swear heels have never been so comfortable when you slip on a pair of wedge shoes!
- Lace. We’re not talking a little peek-a-boo lingerie lace, but incorporating lace into your accessories like this necklace from LiveInStyle.
What fashion trends will you be trying this spring?